For Bitter For Worse
What happens when you get hit with a job loss and a health crisis all at once? If you are like my podcast guest this week, Shelley Elkovich, you do what you love – create a cocktail ‘made with love, not alcohol’. We had a rich and fascinating conversation about taking a leap of faith, and turning your passion into your full-time business. Shelley shares the inspiration behind her cocktail company, For Bitter For Worse, what it means to ‘reverse bootleg’ and how to become a social pollinator.
Shelley is a lifelong flavor-chaser, a passionate drinks hobbyist turned pro. When a health challenge caused her to break up with booze, she couldn’t find cocktails that pleased her palate and met her ingredient standards. She founded For Bitter For Worse with her husband, Jeff Heglie. The business is inspired by their long, sparky marriage and love of celebration. Shelley is also a writer with an MFA in fiction. She lives in food & beverage wonderland, Portland, Oregon, and her heart’s home is the Siskiyou mountains of Southern Oregon.
- Made with love, not alcohol 1:23
- How to enjoy our cocktails 5:00
- The mid-life double-whammy that led to a new venture 6:45
- Our diverse customers 16:03
- Driven by purpose 20:19
- My Big Fat Bar Cart 25:00
- Inviting the community to share in our success 27:58
- For Bitter For Worse Website
- MicroVentures investment campaign page: https://invest.microventures.com/offerings/for-bitter-for-worse
- The New York Times article of NA Beverages
- Your After Alcohol Guide