Moderation is a subject that comes up all the time in my alcohol-free coaching. This topic is surrounded by a lot of emotion and when someone is considering changing their relationship with alcohol, it often seems that moderation is the perfect answer, the ‘golden ticket’. “If I could just have one”, “If I could just drink like normal people, take it or leave it”, are sentiments that I hear a lot in the coaching programs where I work. And I get it.
That was me. I wanted to moderate because I could not imagine a life without alcohol. I also wanted to still drink occasionally because giving up alcohol forever would mean I had a problem with alcohol (was I an alcoholic?) and I wasn’t ready to admit that to anyone, even myself. On the podcast, I share three reasons that make moderation so difficult including the science behind tolerance. Think moderation is the easy way out?
Let’s explore together.
- Why moderation is so appealing
- The downside of rules
- Your personal alcohol experiment
- 3 reasons that make moderation more difficult than abstinence
- The brain and moderation
- Liberation vs. Fixation
- Sign up for my weekly newsletter “What I learned this week”
- Annie Grace’s guide 6 steps to moderation
- 5 Healthy Reasons to Take A Break Teri’s guide to understanding the impact of alcohol